Tuesday, February 15, 2011

11th meeting, Tuesday, February 22nd

MoKS presents:
helikoosolek:tartu
with Dennis Tan
Tuesday, February 22rd
6-8pm
Eesti Rahva Muuseum, Tartu

*****THIS MONTH ONLY!!!*****
This month's helikoosolek is happening one day early due to the upcoming holiday. Please make a note of it!


helikoosolek:tartu's 11th edition features a visit from Singapore-born and Germany-based artist Dennis Tan. Dennis will be presenting a new interactive version of his work Breathe:

"A good friend once asked me, would there be sound if there were no human beings in this world?

Of course there would be sound, only there wouldn't be anyone to appreciate it.  

Sitting in a quiet room, I hear sounds of machines nearby, my neighbour listening to music and maybe a car driving by. What else do I hear? What is the softest sound in this room? I hear the rustle of my clothes when I move but what else? Closing my eyes, I start to concentrate on listening, deep listening. What do I hear? I hear my breathing. My inconsistent breathing, at times deep, at times light. This is the sound we constantly make, without much effort and without any intention. It just happens because we are alive.

For this edition of helikoosolek:tartu, I would introduce 4 notation symbols for breathing. The public will observe their own rhythm of breathing and learn how to notate them. After that each will create a composition for their own breathing and we will come together as a choir to perform the composition." -Dennis Tan, 2011

Dennis is currently an artist-in-residence at MoKS Centre for Art and Social Practice in Mooste. He will also be giving a presentation about his work at Tartu's Y Galerii on Wednesday, February 23rd at 7pm.

Helikoosolek:Tartu is organised my MoKS and supported by Eesti Rahva Muuseum and Tartu Kultuurkapital.
http://helikoosolek.blogspot.com
http://www.moks.ee
http://www.erm.ee

No comments:

Post a Comment