with Uwe Wüst
Wednesday, August 29th
Eesti Rahva Muuseum, Tartu
helikoosolek:tartu is back! we've been on summer break for the last few months, but we're back with new fall programming now, beginning very soon, in 5 days in fact, with our August edition. We thought we'd start the new season off with some physics, so this month's helikoosolek features a visit from Austrian sound engineer and acoustician Uwe Wüst.
Uwe describes himself thusly:
- born 14.2.1964 germany
- interest in sound since 1976
- drummer since 1977
- built first speakers in 1980
- built first studio in 1984
- speaker installations for cinemas, etc
- ethnological music from all ages & regions
- natural sounds made by machines & things
- Professional sound engineer since 1999:
- chief sound engineer at Joe Zawinul's Birdland, Townhall Vienna, Planet Music (all in Vienna)
- more than 1000 live shows & recordings (music, readings, theater, television, etc.)
- many soundsystems installed Townhall Vienna, etc.)
- live mixes of The Bulgarian Voices, Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate, Joe Sample & Randy Crawford, The Temptations, Louis Hayes, George Duke & Stanley Clarke, Scott Henderson Trio, etc.
- experiments with mics & pick-ups
For helikoosolek we will be exploring:
- perceiving sound & how human beings handle it
- mics + how to deal with them
- installed soundsystems
- theory + practical examples
helikoosolek:tartu is a regular gathering for the exploration of sound in all forms. The meetings comprise presentations, concerts, workshops, discussions, and field trips pertaining to sound and its consideration in art, music, architecture, ecology, philosophy, social and cultural interaction, and any other context that presents itself. Participants are encouraged to propose activities or discussions on topics of their interest, or to present projects of their own for feedback. Sessions take place on the last Wednesday of each month, from 6-8pm at the Eesti Rahva Muuseum.
helikoosolek:tartu is organised by MoKS and supported by Eesti Rahva Muuseum.